Sunday, March 25, 2007

Significant Sentences: Introduction

Significant Sentences from My Favorite Books
Over the years, I have read thousands of books. Some have influenced me so much as to become permanently engraved on my consciousness. I can’t forget the books or the ideas in them. In all of the books I have read, I have underlined ideas that interested me, ideas that I could think about and reflect on, their meanings deepening as I have lived longer and gained more experience. These ideas are the essence of the books.

I have collected these “significant sentences” for each book. In another blog, I have summarized the books I have read in alphabetical order (http://booksneverread-rays.blogspot.com). And in another, I have collected the sentences according to topic (http://perspectivesonideas-rays.blogspot.com). In this blog, I would like to share the significant sentences from my favorite books. As I say in my introduction to the significant sentences in each book:

The Sentence as Essence
“….because of the ideas conceived and circulated generation after generation civilization endures, progresses, and deepens.” Albert Schweitzer.

“We have here an example of what has been often said, and I believe with justice, that there is for every thought a certain nice adaptation of words which none other could equal, and which, when [a writer] has been so fortunate as to hit, he has attained, in that particular case, the perfection of language.” Dr. Samuel Johnson.

The single sentence can contain the essence of a paragraph, of a chapter, sometimes of an entire book. In this [blog], the reader will find the single sentences that I believe are most interesting in __________. Each of these selected sentences, while obviously related to preceding and following sentences, can stand on its own merit as an idea. As Boswell said of one of Dr. Johnson’s works, “…almost every sentence…may furnish a subject of long meditation.”

Raymond Stopper (rays)
March 25, 2007.

No comments: