Saturday, April 28, 2007

Walden. Significant Sentences. Concluded..

Significant Sentences. Walden. Concluded.

"...for all the motions of a squirrel, even in the most solitary recesses of the forest, imply spectators as much as those of a dancing girl...." p. 540.

"I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn." p. 541.

"The perch swallows the grub-worm, the pickerel swallows the perch, and the fisherman swallows the pickerel; and so all the chinks in the scale of being are filled." p. 548.

"The night is the winter, the morning and evening are the spring and fall and the noon is the summer." p. 562.

"...the symbol of perpetual youth, the grass-blade....: p. 570.

"In a pleasant spring morning all men's sins are forgiven." p. 573.

"We need the tonic of wildness." p. 575.

"I left the woods for as good a reason as I went there: Perhaps it seemed to me that I had several more lives to live and could not spare any more time for that one." p. 579.

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected...." p. 580.

"...in this part of the world it is considered a ground for complaint if a man's writings admit of more than one interpretation." p. 581.

"Say what you have to say, not what you ought." p. 583.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in Paradise." p. 583.

"Things do not change; we change." p. 583.

"Men are all on a committee of arrangements, and hourly expect a speech from somebody." p. 584.





No comments: