Thursday, April 26, 2007

Walden. Significant sentences. Continued.

Significant Sentences. Walden. Thoreau. Continued.

"...books....are as dull as their readers." p. 408.

"How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book." p. 408.

"...three-o'clock-in-the-morning courage, which Bonaparte thought was the rarest." p. 417.

"However intense my experience, I am conscious of the presence and criticism of a part of me, which, as it were, is not a part of me, but spectator, sharing no experience, but taking note of it." p. 429.

"...let me have a draught of undiluted morning air...." p. 432.

"He interested me because he was so quiet and solitary and so happy withal; a well of good humor and contentment." p. 438.

"In physical endurance and contentment he was cousin to the pine and the rock." p. 439.

"He had been instructed only i that innocent and ineffectual way in which the Catholic priests teach the aborigines, by which the pupil is never educated to the degree of consciousness, but only to the degree of trust and reverence, and a child is not made a man, but kept a child." p. 439.

"...reformers, the greatest bores of all...." p. 445.

"Shall I not rejoice also at the abundance of the weeds whose seeds are the granary of the birds?" p. 455.

"In the warm evenings I frequently sat in the boat playing the flute, and saw the perch, which I seemed to have charmed, hovering around me, and the moon traveling over the ribbed bottom, which was strewed with the wrecks of the forest." p. 462.

"A lake is earth's eye, looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature." p. 471.

"In such a day, in September or October, Walden is a perfect forest mirror...." p. 473.

No comments: